Sunday, December 18, 2011

Thinking About Advent

Photo Credit: This is Your Life
At the end of November I began to see many creative ways of celebrating the Advent season on different blogs.  I started to get excited for when I would be able to do some of these fun ideas with our children in the future.  So many fun ideas like candle centerpieces, calendar window countdowns and Christmas activities all designed to get excited for Christmas.

After looking through the ideas I realized that I did not fully know what Advent was all about.  If I was to do this thing called Advent with my children some day I should probably know what it means exactly.  I knew it was more than activities, craft projects and countdowns to Christmas.  I needed to do some studying!

During the month of December I have been researching about what Advent is all about.  I have found that when different people think about Advent, many things often come to their minds.  When some people hear the word Advent, they think of the whole season leading up to Christmas.  Others think of the four distinct Sundays preceding Christmas.  Some might simply think of the dictionary definition of the word, which is "arrival" or "coming."  And for others it is celebrating the arrival of Christ into the world and also anticipating his second coming.

Photo credit: violscraper
Upon more research and personal reflection, I came to the conclusion that if I wanted my kids to anticipate the coming of Christ during the Advent season that I should too.  And what better time for me to start than this year!  (I am not sure why I thought I had to wait until I had kids to participate in the Advent season.)  So while discovering more about Advent I pulled out one of my favorite books called Treasuring God in our Traditions written by Noel Piper.  Noel had a great definition for Advent.  She wrote, "Advent is a season of looking back, thinking how it must have been waiting for the promised salvation of God, not knowing what to expect.  And at the same time, Advent is a season of looking ahead, preparing ourselves to meet Jesus in His Second Coming."  So, with a great definition that I could grab a hold of, I had to ask myself a question.  How was I prepare myself for Advent?

I chose to do an Advent Bible devotional this year to ready my heart for Christmas.  The devotionals were written by Ann Voskamp.  One way that she described Advent was:  "Advent –  this is the season of preparing that prepares us for any season of life — because we are preparing our lives for Christ to enter in — which prepares for us the life without end."  Being in God's Word during this Advent season has drawn me closer to who Jesus is and what he has done for us.  I do not want to lose sight of what is truly important this Christmas holiday.  "We’re ready for Christmas,  not when we have all the gifts, but when we are ready for Christ — when we’re ready to give all of ourselves to Christ." (Ann Voskamp)  Just as the shepherds and wise men went away praising Jesus after seeing him, I want to walk away from my time with Jesus praising him for what he has done, is doing and will do.

"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls".  (1 Peter 1:8, 9 NIV)

I take away from my study of Advent to anticipate Christ in my heart not only during the four weeks leading up to Christmas, but all year long.  I want to seek him daily so that my heart yearns more and more for Him as I anticipate his second coming.  I am grateful for the promises that God fulfilled by giving us the gift of his Son.  Jesus is the one and only true gift ever given.


No comments:

Post a Comment