Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sunflowers and SONfollowers


We recently read a book at home called "All About Flowers."  Owen was drawn to the sunflower page and he told me that he wanted to camp next to the sunflower field because it was so beautiful.  The book told us that "the sunflower gets its name from the way the blossoms turn to follow the movement of the sun."  We were amazed at the thought of how the sunflower bud follows the sun all day long!  

With sunflowers on our mind, we went for a walk that evening to a nearby house that has a small sunflower garden.  Sure enough, as we observe them closely, the sunflower buds were facing in the direction of the sun.  As we talked about how the sunflowers are unique in the way they turn toward the sun and are in constant pursuit of sunlight, we too, as Christians, should be in constant pursuit of Jesus and set Him before us throughout our day.  


A few days later I was running into the grocery store for a handful of things and as I entered the store the sunflower bouquets caught my attention right away.  I added a bouquet to my basket and brought them home for us to have a daily reminder to fix our eyes on Jesus.  I like how Matt Papa explains this very thing in the quotes below:

“God’s Word says “fix” because this is what we have to do when we wake up in the morning. We have to “fix.” We have to glue. We have to fight. Because if I don’t fight every day to “fix” my eyes on Jesus, my ADD soul will look to a million lesser things.” 

“I don’t wake up in the morning just naturally reading my Bible and singing worship songs. I must, with a warlike aggression, place the glory of God in front of my face, or I will not change . . . I will not worship Him. We must be like David in Psalm 16:8 who said, “I have set the Lord continually before me.” 


As the week pasted by, I realized my great need for the constant reminder that the bright yellow sunflower offered.  Many times I walked by the flower and recognized (again and again) my need to stop and seek Him with what was on my mind.  I must intentionally seek Him every day, every hour, every minute, every morning, every night and in every circumstance.  I must continue to recognize my great need for Jesus in my life!  May the sunflower serve as a reminder to me to be a SONfollower!


2 comments:

  1. Love this! Those visual reminders are so helpful and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are helpful! I love learning along new things with my boys!

      Delete