Friday, April 25, 2014

Easter Reading

photo credit: my husband

The few weeks leading up to Easter I spent time reading, listening and meditating on the book of John.  A few days before Easter I was re-reading John chapters 13-17.  In these chapters Jesus shared a special meal with his disciples, washed their feet and taught them about himself.  How amazing that even hours before he was to die he was still teaching his disciples!  As I outlined and summarized these chapters I broke it down into four bullet points for myself to remember the truth of his words in these chapter.  My four bullet points were:

  • Jesus emphasis in these chapters was LOVE.  The word occurs 31 times in these chapters.
  • Jesus says to his disciples love me, trust me, obey me, remain in me and believe in me.
  • Jesus says he is our hope, peace, joy and life!
  • Jesus ends his time with them by praying for his disciples and believers.  

In addition to reading the book of John our family memorized three short verses.  We made it fun by making each verse into a song to make it easier to remember.  The verses we chose this year were:

  • "These words have been written, so that you may believe, that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  That by believing you may have life in his name."  (John 20:31)
  • "This is how God showed his love to us:  He sent His only Son, into the world to give us life through Him."  (1 John 4:9)
  • "Thanks be to God, for his gift that, it too wonderful to explain."  (2 Cor. 9:15)

I am so thankful that God continues to teach me more about himself.  I pray that I may clearly teach my boys the love of Jesus and that they too may believe and have life in him.  

He is Risen!

Woodland Tulip Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment